We are moving. We are moving far away from my family and very close to my DH's family. By very close, I mean a seven hour drive. Compared to our current 1,300 miles, this is VERY close. If it isn't already scary enough to pick up and relocate to a small town where we know nobody and are worried that we won't fit in; it is doubly scarey to know that my MIL could call on a Thursday and say, "We are going to come and see you this weekend. I miss the grandkids."
To make matters worse, my own mother is barely speaking to me. Even though she has known the plan for years was to move back to where me and my DH met and fell in love, she had decided to play Scarlett O'Hara and "think about that tomorrow." Well, when tomorrow came, it was as if I had personally ripped her heart out of her chest and stomped on it right before her eyes, just for fun.
The joy of the new job and the exciting prospects of tomorrow are almost completely overshadowed by the OVER Anxious MIL and the GUILT machine Mother. Here I am in the middle, trying to convince my 8-year old son that this is going to be GREAT and trying not to let my husband see me cry. I keep myself busy packing, cleaning, and prepping. I convince my mother that the house WILL sell, all the while worried sick that it will not. I continue to put on my brave face for everyone who asks about the move, which occurs roughly 7 times per day, every day. "Oh it is so beautiful there!" (I haven't even seen the town in 15 years, and that was once) "We are really excited!" (And terrified). "No, I don't have to work right away, isn't that great!?" (I can't stay home all day, every day with an infant! I'll lose my freakin' mind.), and so it goes.
One thing has been decided. No matter where we end up living in our new town, (have I mentioned that we have no idea where we will live?) the first priority is to either add on or finish an area of the house that is exclusively for in-laws and/or guests that does not interfere with day to day life. There will be no more shuffling sleeping children, or pulling out couches, or orchestrating shower times. An in-law suite will be a MUST because I anticipate the in-laws from BOTH sides will come-a-callin' more than I ever imagined.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Milly!
I'm currently casting a non-airing pilot for a major cable network. We're looking for families with a rocky relationship between the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law in hopes of helping them learn how to get along. It's a very feel-good show with a focus on repairing families. Please contact me if this seems like something you might be interested in! I'd love to tell you more: momshowcasting@gmail.com
Post a Comment